There are several reasons why you may need to reflect what you see on your iPhone or iPad screen on a Mac computer, and one of them is that on a laptop screen you will see everything much larger.
Apple provides AirPlay, which is an easy way to stream content from your iPhone, iPad or Mac to a TV screen, either through a device like Apple TV, or directly to the TV if it has AirPlay built in.
Check in this article which TVs are compatible with the Apple TV app and AirPlay.
Curiously, it is possible to share the screen of your Mac with an iPad through Sidecar, but it is a system that does not work in reverse. However, all this changes with the arrival of iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey.
With the new versions, it is possible to send content to your Mac from the iPhone, iPad or even another Mac. You can also use your Mac as an AirPlay speaker. In this way, the Apple ecosystem acquires new functionalities.
However, even though iOS 15 and iPad OS 15 have been released, the case of macOS Monterey It is different, since Apple has not yet given an official date for its final launch, stating that it will take place soon between the months of October and November.
How to screen mirror on a Mac with AirPlay
One of the novelties brought to us by iOS 14, iPad OS 15 and macOS Monterey is the new ability to handle AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad to send and emulate content from a device to the big screen of the Mac.
Now, you must check that your devices meet the specifications set by Apple for this to work, since not in all cases it will be like that. You will need to have the following device models:
- MacBook Pro (2018 or later)
- MacBook Air (2018 or later)
- iMac (2019 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac mini (2020 and later)
- Mac Pro (2019)
- iPhone 7 and later
- iPad Pro (2nd generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (6th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
If your iPhone, iPad or Mac is older, it may still be possible to share content, but you will have a lower screen resolution. Set ‘Allow AirPlay for’ to ‘All computers’ or ‘Anyone on the same network’.
How can I use AirPlay from iPhone to Mac?
Once Monterey is installed on your computer, this is how you should proceed so that it can work:
- Make sure your devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the ‘Control Center’ on your iPhone. (A swipe from the top right of your phone on an iPhone model without a home button.)
- Click on ‘Screen Mirroring’.
- Right now, you will only see an Apple TV or a TV with AirPlay, but after the software update, you will also see your Mac.
- Select your Mac from the list.
- Then close the ‘Control Center’.
- Now you can stream from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac.
How to stream content from iPad or iPhone to Mac
While we wait for Mac updates, you should know that there are other alternatives to transmit from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac, which implies having to install an additional application on your Mac.
There are a couple of options to choose from, either AirServer or Reflector. We are going to offer a quick analysis of each one of them.
It is a program that meets this need and that you can try for free for a period of 7 days. The price of the final Reflector solution is only € 18.92. We explain step by step how it works.
- Download and install the software Reflector on your Mac (you will see a message warning you about the installation, but since we know it is a legitimate application, you should trust its use).
- If you are only using the trial version, you can click ‘Try Reflector 4’. Otherwise, buy the software and enter the license key. (If you use the trial version, you will see watermarks during seven days of use.)
- You won’t see an interface appear, but you should see the Reflector icon in the dock and the Reflector options should appear in the menu.
- With Reflector running on your Mac, switch to your iPhone or iPad, open whatever you want to stream and click on the ‘Share’ icon (the one that’s a square with an arrow).
- Select AirPlay now.
- You will now see the option to cast to your Mac, which you can do as soon as you enter the AirPlay code that will appear on your Mac screen.
In case of AirServer for Mac It is very similar to the previous program, since this time you can test the application for a period of 14 days, with the disadvantage that the watermark will also be displayed during this period.
The price of the final version may vary depending on the type of version you purchase. The most common is the ‘Consumer license‘whose price amounts to € 16.99.
- Download and install the program as indicated above, having to approve the application you install, since it is not downloaded from the Mac App Store. You may also need to allow AirServer to ‘control your computer’ in your security and privacy settings.
- Again, you won’t see an interface, this time the only indication that AirSever is running on your Mac is an icon in the menu bar that looks a bit like AirDrop or share icons on a Mac.
- Now, if you open your iPhone and iPad and locate what you want to transmit to your Mac, click on the ‘Share’ icon and choose AirPlay.
- Again, you’ll see your Mac listed as an option to stream as well. Click on that icon and you will start transmitting immediately, without having to enter any code.
Another reason you might want to use AirDrop from your iPhone is to view content from any streaming service such as Apple TV +, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney + on a Mac that is currently offline.
Also check how to set up your Apple TV: get the most out of it.