VPNs are the ideal complement to any device you use to browse the web as long as you want to maximize its security and privacy. These private networks are also very useful to access services and restricted content in your location.
Thus, if you want to see websites and videos that are not available in your country, this article will interest you. Keep reading to know why or why we don’t recommend using a VPN on your iPhone or iPad. In case you decide to download one, you will also be interested in the small tutorial that we have included.
Why should you use a VPN on your iPhone or iPad?
There are several reasons why it seems like a good idea to use a VPN on your iPhone or iPad. Not all of them may apply to you, but you can still find them listed below.
- A VPN will allow you to browse privately and safely. This service encrypts all your data, which means that neither you nor the device you use can be “seen” on the Internet, that is, third parties.
- A VPN can also help you protect your personal information against often lax data protection laws and meddling government institutions.
- If you are in a country where Internet censorship is the daily bread, a VPN will allow you to bypass these limitations and access banned content in a specific area of the planet.
- It may also be the case that you want to access your home or workplace network remotely. A VPN can also help you make sure you do it safely.
- Finally, some web pages also configure geographic restrictions so that part of their content cannot be accessible from a specific country or area, such as BBC iPlayer. A VPN will help you remove these limitations.
Is it safe to use a VPN?
In most cases, browsing the web using a VPN connection, whether from your computer, your iPhone or your iPad, is usually safer than doing it without the help of these virtual private networks.
For example, if you connect to the Internet from a public network, you can protect yourself from hackers and the possibility that they can steal your information using a VPN, since as we have said before this service will encrypt your data.
It is true that we can question to what extent we can trust that it is the VPNs themselves that steal this data. We trust that, if you have paid for the service, the security is maximum.
If, on the other hand, you use one of the free VPNs, its developers have more reasons to try to make money from your data. Some scams carried out by VPN companies have been reported, so bet on the one that awakens you the most confidence.
How to set up a VPN on your iPhone or iPad
1. Open the ‘Settings‘on your iPhone or iPad and select the’ General ‘section.
2. Scroll down until you find the section ‘VPN‘. If you still do not have a private network connected, next to it you will see the message of ‘Without connection‘. Then tap on ‘Add VPN configuration‘.
3. Finally, enter the details of the service you have contracted.
How to use a VPN to surf the internet anonymously
In this section, we will explain how to use a VPN connection to be able to browse the web without being seen. Keep in mind that we have described the general steps that you will need to follow, but these may vary a bit depending on the server.
1. First, you must create an account on the website of the VPN service you want and pay the corresponding subscription if it is a paid connection.
2. Now, download the mobile application of said VPN that you can easily find from the App Store of your iPhone or iPad. Also make sure to follow the process in the previous section to configure the VPN.
3. Open the app you just installed on your device and enter your credentials to log in.
4. Connect the VPN using a button that suggests it has this function. If you have not configured the network before, your device will ask for your permission to do so. You will need to use your Touch ID, Face ID, or password to do so.
5. Finally, you will see a map with several servers located in different parts of the world. The one you are currently using will be highlighted in another color.
If you want to change the server, you can consult the following section. If not, you can now enjoy a totally private and secure connection.
How to use a VPN to access restricted content
Next, we are going to show you how to use a VPN to consult a web page that is not available from the country where you are. The steps are general for any service and may vary slightly depending on which one you use.
Some use VPNs to access foreign versions of Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. Certainly, this is something that will not cost you anything if you use a virtual network, but surely you will be going against its terms and conditions of use.
1. After having followed the steps indicated in the previous section, it is now time to select a country from the map with an available server from which you know that you can access the content you want to consult.
2. You will probably have to wait a few seconds after clicking the map and until your VPN connects to the new server.
3. Then, simply start browsing the web as you normally would and you will see that you can now access that restricted content in your location.
4. You will also notice that, while you are connected to a VPN, an icon with these acronyms will appear next to the symbol corresponding to Wi-Fi at the top left of the screen of your iPhone or iPad.
How to disable a VPN on your iPhone or iPad
When you no longer want to use a VPN to surf the Internet from your iPhone or iPad, it is as easy as clicking the button you used to connect the VPN, in this case to disconnect it.
Alternatively, you can also go to the ‘Settings’ of your device, look for the ‘VPN’ option that you accessed to configure the network and deactivate the green switch that you will see next to the section called ‘Status’.
After you have followed one of these two procedures, you will receive an alert telling you that you are no longer connected to a VPN. In addition, you will know that this is indeed the case when you see that the icon with the initials disappears from the top of your screen.
On the other hand, do not miss our classification of what we currently consider the best VPN connections on the market compatible with smartphones and tablets from Apple. We recommend, for example, NordVPN or ExpressVPN.