Why do many users prefer Mac when choosing a computer? The answer is obvious: it is reliable, safe, easy to use, and high stability. The latest versions of macOS are so polished that users hardly ever encounter bugs. However, if this still happened and the failure cannot be fixed with the available means, you can perform a clean install of macOS. Moreover, this is not at all difficult to do.
Unlike Windows, reinstalling macOS is simplified as much as possible. Without exaggeration, even an inexperienced user can cope with this task. All that is needed is a reliable internet connection and some of your personal time.
How to reinstall macOS?
The first step is to connect the power adapter to your Mac. Next, you need to go to recovery mode and decide on the type of installation. There are three possible scenarios.
To enter Internet Recovery mode, immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac, you must hold down one of the following key combinations until the globe logo appears:
- Command + R: Install the latest macOS this Mac was running on.
- Option + Command + R: Upgrade to the latest macOS version compatible with this Mac.
- Shift + Option + Command + R: Install macOS that came with your computer by default.
After launching, you will need to wait a little: if there is an Internet Recovery update, its latest version will be automatically downloaded.
If you did everything correctly, after a while the “Utilities” window will appear. If you want to get a clean operating system, it makes sense to completely format the disk in Disk Utility and specify the following parameters:
- Disk name: The volume name can be anything. The default is Macintosh HD.
- Format: use the APFS file system to format the disk when installing High Sierra and newer, or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for older versions.
- Scheme: select “GUID Partition Scheme”.
After cleaning the disk, you can proceed with the installation itself, of course, having previously indicated the desired drive. It is normal for your Mac to reboot several times during the installation process. As a rule, the whole procedure takes no more than 30 minutes (provided that the installation is done on a solid state drive).
If everything went well, we will be greeted by the “Setup Assistant” and we will be able to configure all the initial computer settings, as well as log into the Apple ID account. Everything is ready!