There are several ways to mount and edit videos recorded with your iPhone to create a movie that you can share with friends and family, but one of our favorites due to its simplicity of use is the one associated with the ‘Memories’ function of Photos.
And, despite Apple’s usual tendency to make functions easy to use and discover, there are tools such as ‘Memories’ that are hidden, but that greatly surprise iPhone and iPad users.
This is because Apple sometimes feels the need to decide for you and surprise you. In fact, without even asking, the Photos app on your iPhone collects a selection of photos and videos from your library to display as an edited video montage.
Next, we will see the following sections:
- How to make a ‘Memories’ video using the iPhone
- How to add photos to ‘Memories’ on iPhone
- How to use Memories to make a presentation slideshow
Obviously, these projects can be edited and perfected by you if you want to modify images or add new ones, before sharing them.
How to edit ‘Memories’ in Photos
Memories are montages that combine your photos and videos. You can use the function to make a video and photo montage of a vacation, or simply add photos to a slideshow that you will share with family and friends.
Here’s how to choose the photos and video clips you want to appear:
- Go to ‘Photos’.
- Gather the images and videos you want to include in an album (press select, tap on all the images and videos you want to include and click Add to new album. You will have to give it a new name and save).
- Go to the Albums view and find the album you just created. (Tap Albums at the bottom left of the menu.)
- In iOS 14, tap at the top right next to your album name in previous versions of iOS).
- In iOS 14, this takes you to a collection of sharing options. Tap ‘Play Movie’ from Memories. (In previous versions, this will take you directly to the memory that Apple has compiled for you.)
- When you tap on the ‘Play’ icon, the movie will start to play, but you can change the images and movies to your liking, useful if you find that not all the selected images and videos are to your liking or you like the order.
- To edit, click on ‘Edit’ located in the upper right corner. You will see a dialog box asking you to add the memory to ‘Memories’. Click on accept to add it.
- The next screen gives you options to edit the title, the title image, modify the music, the duration, and the photos and videos.
- You can tap on ‘Duration’ to increase the length of the video. However, we suggest that if you want to be able to modify things yourself, go directly to Photos and videos.
- Click on ‘Photos and videos’. The next screen will show you the photos and videos currently in memory. However, it may not be all the photos and videos that you added to the album. Add photos and videos to the movie.
- To see all the images and photos in the album, click on ‘+’ and on the next screen you will see which photos and videos are selected and which are not. Assuming you want to use all of them, select all the items and click on ‘Done’.
- If you consider that the video clips shown need additional editing, you can do it in the ‘Edit’ view. Swipe to the video clip you want to edit and the yellow markers at the beginning and end of the clip.
- You can flip through all the video clips and photos in this view, and if you decide you want to delete any, just tap on the container. Be careful not to accidentally delete something because if you want to add it again, you will lose what you have already edited!
- Once you’ve finished editing, tap at the top left to return to the ‘Edit’ screen.
- Within the music section, you can choose between several soundtracks that Apple offers (these are quite good), but you can choose your own music collection. We recommend taking a look at the soundtracks on offer.
- Here you will see a long list of soundtracks to choose from. The great thing about using them is that they will continue to sound for the duration of your project, without suddenly cutting out. They’re also sorted by genre, so it’s easy to find something that fits your montage.
- Play a soundtrack to listen to it while it downloads. If you opt for another, play it, listen to it and play it if you decide it is the one. Touch again to return to the ‘Edit’ screen.
- If you want to change the title of your video or the style of the title, click on ‘Title’. You can edit the words on the next screen and choose the font and size of the title from a wide selection.
- Finally, you can see how the mount will look, if it will be in portrait or landscape mode: The phone will automatically change the view depending on how you hold it. If you’ve been watching the video in portrait mode rather than landscape, this is where you can see what it would look like.
- Now that you have finished editing, click on ‘Done’. Tap the play button to see the result of your final masterpiece.
- If you are ready to share your video, click on the ‘Share’ icon (the one with the arrow coming out of a box). Saving video is a good option if you want to save the final video montage in an easy-to-share format.
- Find the movie in Photos (it will be the last thing added). To share this on Facebook or similar, press the ‘Share’ icon again and choose the way you prefer to share it.
Apple also has an application called Clips, now in version 3 with which you can create and share funny videos with text, effects and images. The iMovie application is also for iPhone and iPad: here we explain how to use iMovie on iPhone.