Apple allows developers registered in its special program for developers test the beta version of the Mac operating system before its launch.
Testing a beta version of Apple means that you will have to verify that it works correctly and that you will have to report any bugs or errors to the apple company.
The new version of the macOS operating system, macOS Monterey, was announced at Apple’s WWDC on June 7, 2021. It was then that the first macOS Monterey beta version for developers arrived. Now the fourth is available.
Since 2015, Apple has allowed the general public (even if they are not developers) to join a program called macOS Beta Seed Program thanks to which they will also be able to test the beta versions of different releases on the way.
For now, however, this latest beta version is available only to developers.
When is the beta version of macOS Monterey coming out?
As we said, Apple presented macOS Monterey at WWDC last June. The keynote The inaugural took place on the 7th, the day on which all developers of the official program could already enjoy the first beta version.
The fourth beta version of macOS Monterey for developers has arrived this July 27, and this month Apple should make the first beta available to the general public.
On the other hand, the official launch of macOS Monterey will not occur until next fall, as is usually the case.
How to install macOS Monterey beta for developers
If you are registered as a developer in the Apple program, you will know that you can access to download practically all beta versions of new software from Apple such as iOS 15 or macOS Monterey.
Joining this program will mean a total of $ 99 per year, that is, approximately € 84. To register as a developer you will have to access the official page by clicking the link and follow the steps that they propose.
If you click on ‘Enroll’ in the upper right corner of the screen, and then on ‘Start your enrollment’, you will be able to start your application. Of course, you will need to have your Apple ID and password ready (if you have one), and if not, create a new one.
How to install macOS Monterey beta without being a developer or developer
If you are not a developer, it will take a little longer to test the beta version of macOS Monterey, but you can still test it before its official release if you wish.
The beta version of Monterey will be available to the public shortly, so that’s when you can install it on your Mac to test it before anyone else.
For this you will have to join this time the program dedicated to the general public called macOS Beta Seed Program. Click on the link to access the official Apple page and start your application.
If you want more information about this program, Click on this link. When you have everything clear, click on ‘Sign In’ to be able to register in the program.
For this you will need a valid Apple ID (if you don’t already have it, you will have to create it), be over 18 years old and be willing to accept the confidentiality agreement that will be shown to you before you create your account.
Next you will have to register your Mac clicking on this linkThis way you can receive all the updates from the Mac App Store. If you’ve tried an Apple beta program before, you’ll need to re-enroll your Mac.
You will find a link to download the macOS Monterey beta version, as well as a code that you will have to enter. When you click on the link the download will start.
Waiting! Before continuing with the process of downloading the beta version macOS Monterey you have to take into account several points, we also recommend that you continue reading so that you can prepare your Mac before installation.
How to prepare your Mac to install macOS Monterey beta
Apple gives you clear instructions on how to prepare your Mac for installation once you access the official page after entering your Apple ID.
Apple’s first recommendation is to make a backup with all data and files before installing any of the macOS beta versions:
“Always make backup copies of your data and files before installing beta versions of OS X. If you have multiple Macs, we recommend that you install the beta version on the secondary Mac. Making backup copies on your Mac is very simple with the Time Machine application, a tool that comes from the factory in any macOS ”.
You will also have to have the latest version of macOS installed and have at least 2 GB of storage memory and an extra 8 GB available.
How to download the macOS Monterey beta version for developers
Once you have enrolled in the developer program or the program dedicated to the general public, follow these steps:
- Go to developer.apple.com.
- Click on ‘Develop’.
- Click on ‘Downloads’.
- Login to your developer account.
- Click the ‘Download’ button next to macOS 11.
- You will find in your download folder a file with the name: macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg. Click on it and the installation program will open. You need this first if you want to be able to access beta versions on the Mac App Store.
- The Mac App Store will automatically open in the updates tab.
- Click ‘download’ and the macOS Big Sur beta will download and install.
- Your Mac will restart.
- The software, but you will still need to install it. Click ‘Continue’.
- Accept the terms and conditions of use.
- Click ‘Install’.
- Once the installation is finished, click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
How to download the macOS Monterey beta version (public version)
The macOS Monterey public beta is not yet available. But as soon as it is available you will only have to follow the following steps to install it (remember that before you will have had to sign up for the Apple program).
- Before starting, make a backup of your Mac, because if you want to stop using the beta version you will have to go back to this version.
- If you haven’t signed up for the Apple Beta Software Program, you can do so now by clicking on this link.
- Click on ‘Sing up’ and ‘Sing in’ using your Apple ID and password.
- Read and accept the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement.
- Choose the ‘macOS’ tab.
- Click on ‘Enrol your Mac’ to register your computer.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button on the ‘macOS Public Beta Access’ button.
- Open your downloads folder and open the file you just downloaded. It will have the following name: macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg.
- Opening the file will start the installation program. Follow all the steps to install it.
- After downloading the Beta Access Utility, you can download the beta version from the Mac App Store.
- Click ‘Download’ the public beta version of macOS Mojava on the App Store and start the download.
- Your Mac will restart.
- The software, but you will still have to install it. Click ‘Continue’.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on ‘Install’.
- Once the installation is complete, click ‘Continue’.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
The risks of Apple beta versions
Before participating in Apple’s Beta Seed Program, you have to think carefully if you really want to install a beta version of Apple on your Mac.
At the end of the day, you are installing a beta version, that is, a version that is still in test and that is likely to have bugs, crashes or some of your applications stop working.
Apple recommends installing beta versions on computers other than the main ones and above all, other than the ones you use for work or to perform important tasks.
Another aspect to take into account is the time since installing this software it may last a few minutes every few weeks (possible updates will have to be installed).
Additionally, by accepting the macOS beta testing program conditions, you are giving Apple permission to access diagnostics, as well as your usage and technical data. If you are one of those who wants to protect your privacy 100%, this program is not for you.
What is expected of me when I join the Apple beta program?
The main purpose of the existence of beta programs is that Apple can receive feedback on macOS versions before their official release. In this way, they can polish and fix all bugs or failures before they are available to everyone.
Any errors or bugs found will have to be reported to Apple through the Feedback Assistant app. You will have to explain exactly what you were doing and how the error occurred.
If there is something that you do not know how to do or that is difficult for you to do with the new macOS version, you will also have to inform Apple so that they can include an explanation-tutorial about it.
Is it possible to install the official version of macOS Monterey with the beta version installed?
Yes. If you are a user of the beta version of macOS Monterey, you will be able to install the final and official version once it is available without having to format or reinstall any type of software.