When create a table in Microsoft Excel , you may need to adjust its size later. If you need to add or remove columns or rows in a table after creating it, you have several ways to do both.
Use the Resize Table function in Excel
If you want to work with tables and columns, whether you add or remove them, the most practical way is with the Resize table function.
Select any cell within the table. Go to the Table Layout tab that appears and click “Resize Table” on the left side of the ribbon.
In the pop-up window, you can use the cell range text box to adjust the cell references. If you prefer, you can drag the columns and rows while the window is open. Click “OK” when you have the table of the size you want.
Add columns or rows to an Excel table
If you just want to add more columns or rows, there are a few ways to do it. You can use the method that is most convenient or comfortable for you.
Write data in the next column or row
To add another column, type your data in the cell to the right of the last column. To add another row, type data in the cell below the last row. Press Enter or Return.
This automatically adds a column or row to be included in the table.
Paste data in the next column or row
Just like typing in the cell, you can also paste data. So if you have data from another location on your clipboard, go to the cell to the right of the last column or below the last row and paste it. You can either use “Paste” on the Home tab or right-click and select “Paste”.
This also adds the number of columns or rows of data, which are then part of the table.
Use the Insert function
Whether you want to right-click or use the ribbon buttons, there’s an Insert option that makes it easy to add columns or rows. And like many other tasks, there are a few different ways to use Insert.
- Select a column or row, right-click and choose “Insert”. This inserts a column to the left or the row above.
- Select a column or row, go to the Home tab and click “Insert” in the Cells section of the ribbon. You can also click the arrow next to the Insert button and choose “Insert Sheet Columns” or “Insert Sheet Rows”. Both options insert a column to the left or in the row above.
- Select any cell in the table, right-click and go to “Insert”. Select “Table Columns Left” or “Table Rows Above” from the pop-up menu to add one or the other.
Delete columns or rows in an Excel table
Like adding columns or rows to a table in Microsoft Excel, removing them is just as simple. And as you probably already guessed, there is more than one way to do it! Here, you will simply use the Delete function.
As you may have noticed when using the Insert function above, there is also a Delete option nearby. So, use one of these actions to delete a column or row.
- Select a column or row, right-click and choose “Delete”.
- Select a column or row, go to the Home tab, and click “Delete” in the Cells section of the ribbon. Alternatively, you can click the arrow next to the Delete button and choose ‘Delete sheet columns’ or ‘Delete sheet rows’.
- Select a cell in the column or row that you want to delete. Right-click, go to “Delete” and select “Table Columns” or “Table Rows” from the pop-up menu to delete one or the other.
If you are interested in getting help with columns and rows in Excel outside of tables, take a look at how freeze and thaw columns and rows or how convert a row to a column .